International Students

ECS does not process OPT or CPT. Please contact International Student and Scholar Services for F-1 work authorization application.

Learn about the requirement for international students on F-1 and J-1 visas for employment and get tips on job search in the U.S.

Work Authorization

Before applying to internships or jobs in the U.S., please take some time to learn about your work authorization eligibility and process!

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) may be authorized under certain circumstances to allow F-1 students temporary off-campus employment during the program of study.

Learn More

Optional Practical Training (OPT) allows F-1 students to be employed in the United States after completion of studies. 

Learn More

Job Search Strategies

As international job seekers, you sometimes find it challenging to navigate the job search process. Check out the company list and general recruiting tips to strategize your job search!

International Friendly Company List
Learn about companies and organizations that have hired Engineering Illinois international students on the CPT and OPT.

Learn More

General Recruiting Tips
Get advice on how to communicate with employers about your status and discover your strengths as internationals.

Learn More

Having Questions about Any of the Steps?

Make an Appointment with ECS to Discuss Your Steps